Monday, September 14, 2015

Ancestry.com

Ancestry.com is probably the most common site for genealogy research and it's really no wonder why. One of the best things about Ancestry.com is that it has a huge database of records, pictures, other family trees, etc. One of the worst things about Ancestry.com is the price; it can cost up to $45/month. Now, as a stay-at-home mom (and an all around frugal person), that price is not an option. So I continue to use Ancestry.com quite a bit, but with modifications so I can do so freely.

The first is the obvious 14 day trial that they offer. I have yet to use it because I am waiting until I have a slow couple of weeks and a lot of research that I want to do. I believe that time is coming soon! I already know I'll be taking the World Explorer membership for a trial run because all of my ancestors immigrated to the United States, and that is where I am hitting dead ends in my research.

After the trial run expires, aka I end my membership, then all my research will be done at the local library. Most people don't know this, but a lot of libraries and historical societies in Kansas are equipped with the library edition of Ancestry.com. I haven't used it extensively yet, but from when I have used it, it's pretty much like having the full membership of Ancestry.com. When I've done research on it, nothing came up unavailable.

So for all my money-savvy, genealogy loving friends out there, please let me know if there are other ways to cheaply use Ancestry.com.

Happy hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment