Friday, October 16, 2015

Ancestry.com Two Week Free Trial

After years of it just tempting me every time I logged in to do some family research, I finally signed up for the free two week trial membership on Ancestry.com. Being a stay-at-home mom and having my first official client, I figured this was the best time to try out the membership, especially since (as every parent would know) it is very difficult to find a babysitter during the day.

The sign up was easy, though the first time I went to the page I couldn't find the "Start your free trial" button. Eventually I found it and signed up for the world edition. It turned out that I really didn't need that edition because I didn't get that far back in my client's history, but it was there if I needed it. The sign up did require my credit card so it could charge me if I went over my trial period, but I put a notification in my phone for the day before my trial ended to ensure I didn't get charged. As of now, I haven't been charged and I highly doubt I will be.

It was amazing how fast I was finding information with access to the full edition in my home. I didn't have to worry about sharing a computer with someone at the library, though I had to stop often because my daughter needed my attention. I could also see the entire document rather than just the bits and pieces that I would see if I didn't have the membership.

So if you just want to get the basics of your family history going, the free trial is probably all that you will need. Be warned though...once you start finding out about the interesting people in your family tree, it's hard not to keep going.

No comments:

Post a Comment